When it comes time to select commercial flooring options for your facility, it’s important to consider the unique requirements related to your industry. Here are five important factors to keep in mind as you make your flooring decision:
1. Hygiene requirements. In many industries, such as food and beverage, manufacturing, healthcare, and restaurant and food service, cleanliness is essential. To minimize the threat of bacterial contamination, floors often are subjected to aggressive washdowns with harsh chemicals or high temperature cleanings. Selecting a floor that is both easy to clean and can withstand these conditions is important.
2. Safety requirements. All businesses want to reduce the risk of workplace injuries. This is particularly important in the healthcare and manufacturing sectors. Skid and slip resistant floors that are will keep your employees and customers safe, while simultaneously presenting an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
3. Traffic. In many industries, floors get a workout from constant foot traffic, as well as abrasion from various types of equipment and machinery. Determining the areas of your facility that receive the greatest amount of traffic will help guide your decision for flooring.
Schedule a Free, No Obligation Consultation
4. Industry standards. Some industry sectors, such as pharmaceutical and food manufacturing, have strict standards that must be followed, such as Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP). These can affect a company’s choice of flooring, since there may be requirements related to dust control, seamless floor surfaces, and more.
5. Business-specific requirements. Each company has its own unique business requirements that affect flooring choices. In some environments, such as electronics manufacturing, electrostatic dissipation is essential for flooring. In others, minimizing the amount of downtime associated with flooring installation is important to ensure business continuity.
As you choose new flooring for your facility, be sure to partner with an experienced flooring company. Black Bear Coatings & Concrete has over 25 years of experience designing, installing, repairing, and maintaining concrete floors.