Multi-Phase Commercial Flooring Installation for Catania-Spagna’s Food Manufacturing Plant
- STEP 1 – Lay Poly-Crete SL in New Building
- STEP 2 – Apply Ultra-Clear Grout
- STEP 3 – Use Armor Top Satin for a topcoat
- STEP 4 – Remove existing VTC Flooring in old office space
- STEP 5 – Eliminate all residual mastic
- STEP 6 – Install Duraflex Hybrid Flex EC with Armor Top in old office space
Catania-Spagna required this project be completed quickly, and in two phases. They reached out to Black Bear Coatings & Concrete to ensure a swift transition from one building to the next, while adhering to strict USDA and regulatory standards. The first phase was completing the floor in the newly constructed building to relocate the shipping offices immediately. The second phase included demo and renovation of existing floors in the older building, to prepare for another department to take occupancy in the space.
- Project Name – Catania Spagna: Shipping Office Relocation & Renovation
- Type of Business – Food and Beverage Manufacturing
- Location – Ayer, Massachusetts
- Size – 1,800 square feet
- Timeframe – 2.5 days
- Products – Duraflex Hybrid Flex EC with Armor Top, Poly-Crete SL, Ultra Clear grout, Armor Top Satin
The tight timeframe meant that the coordination of the two phases was critical to the process. To minimize client downtime, both sites needed to be prepped quickly to keep the flow of production. Black Bear needed to calculate the products’ set time in each phase to keep the job on schedule.
Black Bear Solution
Black Bear consulted with the client to value engineer the right solution for the two spaces. Their goal was to install a system that could withstand the tread of oil byproducts from the production floor. The Black Bear solution needed to be a durable, commercial flooring system that could be easily maintained. A hybrid formula was selected to provide better protection with urethane and epoxy in the existing building. The new building a moisture mitigation underlayment was installed as a base for the urethane topcoat.
About the Client – Catania-Spagna
What began as a small, door-to-door olive oil business in the early 1900s has since grown to become global food manufacturing company, Catania-Spagna. Today, this family owned and operated business is helmed by the founder’s great-grandchildren, and each generation has contributed to the company’s milestones and success. Catania-Spagna has grown from a few barrels of olive oil to a 100,000 sq.ft. manufacturing plant, and a well-known brand of vegetable and blended oils, as well as bio and sustainable products.
We can help you with your flooring needs. Contact us today!